Paper: Re: Dakar Arts Festival – exploring transmedia storytelling methods to document an Internet scam
Title: Re: Dakar Arts Festival – exploring transmedia storytelling methods to document an Internet scam
Author(s): Andreas Zingerle, Linda Kronman
Email: andreas.zingerle (at) ufg.ac.at, linda (at) kairus.org
Published at: Proceedings of International Conference on Interactive Digital Storytelling, Bahçeşehir University, Istanbul, Turkey.
With the “Re: Dakar Arts Festival” project we present an alternative way to raise awareness about online advance-fee fraud scams, by exploring the extent to which concepts of transmedia storytelling are adaptable in representing a scambait – the practice of scamming a scammer. By investigating their practices we can question the trust that is put into online representations. Yet, what happens when transmedia concepts are adapted to documentation material and blended with fictional characters? With the help of an example, we illustrate how a documented scambait evolved into a transmedia story, unfolding over several media channels.
Transmedia Storytelling, Online representations, Scam.
Cite this Article:
Zingerle, A., & Kronman, L. (2013). Re: Dakar Arts Festival-Exploring Transmedia Storytelling Methods to Document an Internet Scam. H. Koenitz et al. (Eds.): The 6th International Conference on Interactive Digital Storyelling, LNCS 8230, Springer International Publishing Switzerland (pp. 253-256).
Author-created version of this article is presented here by the right retained due to Springer’s Consent to Publish, Lecture Notes in Computer Science form avaliable here which states under part 3 that “Author may self-archive an author-created version of his/her Contribution on his/her own website […]“.
1. Dak’art Biennale, http://www.biennaledakar.org/2012/spip.php?article29
2. IC3 Annual Report 2012, http://www.ic3.gov/media/annualreport/2012 IC3Report.pdf
3. Jenkins, H.: Keynote: Revenge of the Origami Unicorn: Five Key Principles of Transmedia Entertainment. MIT TechTV, http://techtv.mit.edu/ (2011)
4. Sow, O.: http://www.ousmanesow.com
5. Zingerle, A., Kronman, L.: Transmedia storytelling and online representations – Issues of trust on the Internet, pp.144-151, 2011 International Conference on Cyberworlds. (2011)