Interdisciplinary artist, researcher, lecturer
‘KairUs Art+Research’ with Linda Kronman
Research Assistant Professor
SIMA – Media & Communication Arts
Woosong university, Daejeon, Korea
Dr. Andreas Zingerle
In Sep. 2016 he completed his Ph.D. studies at the University of Art and Design Linz (Austria), researching topics such as Internet cime, vigilante counter-movements and anti-fraud activism. He implements social engineering strategies that emerge in his research into interactive narratives, artistic installations, data visualizations and creative media competence trainings.
In 2009 he received a ‘Magister Artium’ (Mag.art.) degree from the Interface Cultures Department (initiated by Christa Sommerer and Laurent Mignonneau in 2004). 2009-2010 he worked as a HCI researcher and artist for the Patchingzone in Rotterdam, the Netherlands, followed by a year of Artist in Residence programs in Europe and Asia (Seoul (Korea) and Beijing (China)). During 2012-2016 he gathered teaching experience as university assistant and lecturer at the “Time based and Interactive Media” Department, University of Art and Design Linz (Austria). Besides this he collaborated with the Linz based net&culture hub ‘servus.at‘ in a 1,5 year research project called ‘Behind the Smart World‘ which included organizing an ArtLab, a symposium, an exhibition as well as editing a publication.
In the last years he worked on several installations exploring a creative (mis)use of technology, issues of cyber-security and alternative ways of Human Computer Interaction. These works have been exhibited since 2004 at international conferences and in exhibitions, among others Ars Electronica, Siggraph, Siggraph Asia, Japan Media Arts Festival, ISEA, Steirischer Herbst, FILE Festival, ELO conference, WRO Biennial. Since 2011 his research has been published in conference proceedings and as journal articles amongst others at ISEA, CyberWorlds, Hyperrhiz, ICIDS, xCoAx, CCC, Media-N.
‣ Interactive Narratives
‣ Internet of things (IoT)
‣ FLOSS research tools
‣ Speculative fiction
‣ Human Computer Interaction (HCI)
Presentations at international conferences
‣ 2016: Overdrive conference, Girona, Spain.
‣ 2016: DSSITSEC2016, Riga, Latvia.
‣ 2016: xCoAx, Bergamo, Italy.
‣ 2016: New Media Caucus, CCA, Washington D.C., USA.
‣ 2015: 32C3 Chaos Communication Congress, Hamburg, Germany.
‣ 2015: Internet Yamichi-ichi, ARS ELECTRONICA, Linz, Austria.
‣ 2015: Net-activism, Rome, Italy.
‣ 2015: ISEA, Vancouver, Canada.
‣ 2015: Electronic Literature, Bergen, Norway.
‣ 2015: xCoAx, Glasgow, UK.
‣ 2014: xCoAx, Porto, Portugal.
‣ 2014: ICIDS, Int. Conference on Interactive Digital Storytelling, Singapore.
‣ 2014: Internet Research conference, .IR15, Daegu, Korea.
‣ 2014: Cyberworlds 2014, Santander, Spain.
‣ 2013: ARTSIT – Conference on Arts and Tech., Hangar Bicocca, Milan, Italy.
‣ 2013: CYBERWORLDS, Keio University, Yokohama, Japan.
‣ 2013: ICIDS, Int. Conference on Interactive Digital Storytelling, Istanbul, Turkey.
‣ 2013: SIGGRAPH ASIA, Hong Kong, China.
‣ 2012: SIGGRAPH ASIA, Singapore.
‣ 2012: PARN – Narrative strategies, MITI-Interactive Institute, Madeira, Spain.
‣ 2011: ACM Cyberworlds, Banff Center, Canada.
‣ 2011: ACM Multimedia 11, Scottsdale, AZ, USA.
‣ 2011: ISEA11 – Inter Society for Electronic Arts, Istanbul, Turkey.
‣ 2009: ACE 2009, Athens, Greece.
‣ 2008: SIGGRAPH, Los Angeles, USA.
Visiting artist presentations / workshops
‣ Stuttgarter Filmwinter, Stuttgart, Germany (2017)
‣ Lange Nacht der Museen, Innsbruck, Austria (2016)
‣ Stuttgarter Filmwinter, Stuttgart, Germany (2016)
‣ Ecologies of Creative Activism, New Media Caucus, Washington D.C. (2016)
‣ 32C3 Chaos Communication Congress, Hamburg, Germany (2015)
‣ esc – medien kunst labor, Graz, Austria (2015)
‣ Simon Fraser University, Vancouver, Canada (2015)
‣ Digital culture research group, University of Bergen, Norway (2015)
‣ Artist talk, Forum for Komputer Kultur, Basel, Switzerland (2015)
‣ Unmake Lab, Artist presentation, Seoul, Korea (2014)
‣ Bilgi University, Visual communication program, Istanbul, Turkey (2014)
‣ Art Meets Radical Openness Festival, Linz, Austria (2014)
‣ University of Lower Silesia, Dep. Of Journalism, Wrozlaw, Poland (2012)
‣ Beijing Dance Academy, Dep. Stage Design, Beijing, China (2011)
Administrative experience & consulting
‣ Peer reviewer, ISEA conference, (2017)
‣ Jury member, ICIDS – Art exhibition, Los Angeles, USA (2016)
‣ Peer reviewer, ISEA conference, Hong Kong (2016)
‣ Jury member, exhibition curator, Art Meets Radical Openness Festival, Linz, Austria (2016)
‣ Peer reviewer, xCoAx Conference, Bergamo, Italy (2016)
‣ Jury member Network Culture Award, Stuttgarter Filmwinter, Germany (2016)
‣ Jury member, ICIDS – Art exhibition, Copenhagen, Denmark (2015)
‣ Jury member, Artist Run Data Center Residency program, servus.at, Linz, Austria (2015)
‣ Peer reviewer, xCoAx Conference, Glasgow, UK (2015)
‣ Jury member, ICIDS – Art exhibition at Art+Science Center, Singapore (2014)
‣ Peer reviewer, TEI – Tangible Embedded Interaction Conference, USA (2014)
‣ Peer reviewer, TEI – Tangible Embedded Interaction Conference, Germany (2013)
‣ Student admission jury member, University of Art and Design, Linz, Austria (2012-2015)
‣ Student thesis jury member, University of Art and Design, Linz, Austria (2012-2013)
‣ Cultural administrator, Student union, University of Art and Design, Linz, Austria (2007-08)
Woosong University, Daejeon (Korea): 2017
‣ 2017: The Internet of other people’s things
University of Art and Design Linz (Austria): 2012-2016
‣ 2014-16: Introduction to Interactive Art (310.096) (Protected)
‣ 2013-15: Sensor technologies (310.013) (Protected)
‣ 2012-15: Introduction to Interface Technologies (310.040) (Protected)
‣ 2012-14: Workshop module Interactive Media (with P. Cirio, K. Karvinen, A. Haider) (310.101)
‣ 2014: Workshop module Time based Media (with Neongolden Beauty Parlour – Stefan Kainbacher) (310.101)
‣ 2012-14: TIME events (organizing a student exhibition and ‘open house’ presentations) (310.009)
‣ 2013: Artistic Research in Web Art+Design: Social Media & digital storytelling (390.013)
Since 2010, Andreas has collaborated with the Finnish artist and researcher Linda Kronman forming the ‘KairUs Art+Research’ collective. They have worked with the thematic of Internet fraud and online scams, constantly shifting their focus and therefore approaching the theme from a number of perspectives like: data security (e.g. the artwork ‘Password******’ or the AMRO research lab: ‘Behind the Smart World’), ethics of vigilante communities (e.g. the artwork ‘Monitoring Harry Brooks’ or the ‘419 fiction’ workshops), narratives of scam e-mails (e.g. the artworks ‘Faceless Patrons’, ‘Re:Dakar Arts Festival‘), scam & technologies (e.g. the artwork ‘Let’s talk Business’ or the artwork ‘Megacorp.‘). Find more projects at kairus.org or download the portfolio (pdf).
Artist in Residence Programs
‣ 2016: Freies Theater Innsbruck, Innsbruck/Austria.
‣ 2014: NKA Foundation, Kumasi/Ghana.
‣ 2011: Redgate Gallery, Beijing/China.
‣ 2011: National Museum of Contemporary Art, Seoul/Korea.
‣ 2011: Subnet, Salzburg/Austria.
‣ 2010: Timelab, Ghent/Belgium.
Megacorp. CEOs James Husby and Scarlett Abbott, Steirischer Herbst (Austria), 2015
Linda Kronman and Andreas Zingerle in the SSD Solution Lab (The Black money decoy), 2016
Powered by: servus.at